Favorite Books for teachers of English Language Learners
Teachers have the responsibility to continue growing as educators. On this page, you’ll find a list of relevant teacher books that provide top-notch professional learning to teachers of language learners.
Become an expert and teacher leader in your building when it comes to collaboration, differentiation, reading development, scaffolding, and much more.
Collaboration and Co-teaching Strategies for English language learners
This is my favorite book available addressing collaboration and co-teaching for English language learners.
This book provides a variety of strategies and action items for ESL teachers to collaborate with others. A newer version contains updated information that every ESL teacher must know to succeed as a teacher leader.
Why do English language learners struggle with reading?
This textbook is a wonderful resource that covers all research related to why ELls struggle with reading. It also helps separate what we all sometimes wonder about: is it a disability or a language issue? Get it Now!.
Mindset: The New Psychology of Success
A long-time favorite. Mindset is one of the first books I read when I began to develop relationships. It helped me re-think my approach in implementing programming for ELLs.
Understanding the psychology of mindsets helped me develop relationships when working with people. Get it now!
The 6 Principles for Exemplary Teaching of English Learners
The 6 Principles for exemplary teaching of English learners lays out important information that teachers should know about English language development and the 6 Principles and practical examples of how these principles can be enacted in classrooms (Short, Becker, Cloud, Hellman, Levine 2018 pviii). Get it Now!
Likewise, the below books provide essential information about teaching English language learners.
- Pathways to Greatness for ELL Newcomers – A comprehensive Guide for Schools & Teachers by Michelle L. Izquierdo
- Breaking Down the Wall – Essential shifts for English learners’ success
- Collaborating for English Learners – A foundational Guide to Integrated Practices by Andrea Honigsfield & Maria G. Dove
- Building Literacy with English Language Learners – Insights from Linguistics by Kristin Lems, Leah D. Miller, and Tenena M. Soro
- Scaffolding Language, Scaffolding Language, Scaffolding Learning, Second Edition: Teaching English Language Learners in the Mainstream Classroom 2nd ed. Edition by Pauline Gibbons (Author)
5 ESL Teacher Books that Make Great Book Studies
ESL educators have multiple responsibilities to support English language learners successfully. To keep up with these responsibilities, teachers must continue learning and growing as professionals in the ESL field. We often find ourselves looking for ESL book recommendations to enhance our ability to provide high-quality instruction and services to ELLs.
This list grows as I find additional books to share to better support us in teaching English learners. Please note that some items may contain affiliate links. Updated 2/6/2021.
Leer en: Español